When I first started The Reset Button, I mulled an idea of doing awards like “Game of the Year.” However, everyone picks a “Game of the Year,” and I wanted this to be slightly different from everyone else.
I then came up with the idea to pick the top five news stories within the year. This is still a fun idea to do, but I feel as if we can expand upon the idea as an aspiring outlet and shake up the perception of “if you had to choose one, is it [X], [Y] or [Z]. Remember, you can only pick one!”
There are literally thousands of games that come out within the year. If May 2016 has shown us anything, it is the idea of presenting only one game as “Game of the Year” is obsolete and a tired concept. Escapism come in many forms throughout mediums, and gaming strives for that ultimate enjoyment the consumer seeks out.
I like to refer to gaming, in a way, much like ice cream. There are so many flavours, some better than others and some more unique. Some people like Rocky Road, some like plain ol’ vanilla. I like Neopolitan, but that’s all beside the point.
The point is this: Picking only one is just asinine and quite literally impossible to do. Which is why we’re expanding upon the idea.
Reset Press Media is proud to announce the idea of the Resetti Awards expanding into games themselves, choosing the 10 best games from the year.
I know what some of you are already saying: “So, it’s just a top 10 list you two pick out?”
Not exactly. We here at Reset Press Media would like to play every single game known to mankind, but that’s quite simply impossible for two people to do. That’s where you all come in to help us.
While we do pick what games to consider for this, we welcome the community to help suggest titles to be given the honour of a Resetti Award for one of the Games of the Year. The tentative idea is this:
In January, we will send all of our community members an email using Google Docs to present five games for consideration of a Resetti Award, and explaining why said game should be put above the rest. Once that process is completed, members of Patreon will have the option of joining Patrick and myself on boiling all of the options down to 10 in either a meeting or a series of meetings, if necessary.
There are a few rules for submitting suggestions:
- The game must be released some time within January 1 through December 31 of the year in question. A game submitted for 2016, released in 2016, may not be eligible for 2017.
- The game must be fully released. Games in early access, demos, delayed games, or games in development, active or otherwise, are not eligible until fully released.
- Games that are placeholders for microtransations are not eligible for Resetti Awards. For example, games such as Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball or Nintendo Badge Arcade that are made solely for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining downloadable content only.
- Games that clearly have been left unfinished in development, leaving the player unable to complete the game or a major objective of the game, is ineligible unless fixed within the year’s end.
We are always welcome to feedback on our ideas, as it helps us become better and much more aware of what we can do. If you would like to make suggestions to the idea or provide your thoughts on the matter, you may either comment below this article or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aside from the Resetti Awards, I posted on Twitter (@ResetTanner) I would be figuring out a schedule for streaming at times that I can. Starting on Sunday, I will be streaming at the following times:
- Sunday: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Central
- Monday: 12 a.m.-2 a.m. Central
- Tuesday: 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Central
- Wednesday: 9 p.m.-12 a.m. Central
Times are tentative to be changed with or without notice, but cancellations or postponements will be posted on Twitter. The Twitch channel for these times is Twitch.tv/DTTCyrax.
Latest posts by Tanner Larson (see all)
- Moving on to whatever’s next for me - April 17, 2017
- The 2016 Resetti Awards! - March 2, 2017
- Super Reset Bros. 9/23/2016 | The Herald of Gargos - September 24, 2016